Fatal Acute Endosulfan Toxicity: A Case Report

Kucuker H., Sahin O., Yavuz Y., Yueruemez Y.

BASIC & CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY & TOXICOLOGY, vol.104, no.1, pp.49-51, 2009 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier


Endosulfan is an organochlorine pesticide. It is banned in the USA and Europe, but use is unrestricted for insect control. Endosulfan causes many intentional and unintentional toxicities in developing countries and in Turkey. Acute exposure to endosulfan has rarely been reported in deaths due to ingestion. Here, a fatality of 61-year-old woman of a family who was poisoned due to ingestion of endosulfan has been reported. Based on autopsy findings, patient history and toxicological results, the cause of death was determined to be acute intoxication of endosulfan and the manner, unintentional toxicities. Endosulfan has histopathological toxic effects on many organs and this toxic effect occurs within a short period after ingestion. To prevent endosulfan poisoning, the usage of it must be restricted and even prohibited. To prevent death and to accelerate improvement, the organs that have more apparent histopathological injury should be considered and early and intensive supportive treatment be initiated.